- 2nd leading cause of lung cancer deaths in U.S.
- 21,000 people die each year because of radon exposure
- Naturally occurring, cancer-causing, radioactive gas
- Cannot see, smell or taste radon
- Colorado is a high risk area
- Cannot predict radon level in any particular home based on neighboring houses
- Testing is the only way to find out
- We use a 48 hour continuous monitoring machine
- Immediate results emailed following test
- IMPORTANT: Homes with existing radon mitigation systems should be tested to confirm it’s still effective
- For 12 hours before and all during the test, all doors and windows must be kept closed except for coming and going.
- All normal ventilation such as central air conditioning or the heater, bathroom exhaust fans, etc. are permitted.
- Radon is measured in the lowest livable area of the house.
- The machine is set up away from walls and out of major drafts, in an open area
- It can't be disturbed during the testing procedure.
- It has a motion sensor and will make a mark on the graph if it is moved during the test.
Radon Testing Agreement
Homework Home Inspections LLC
The address of the property is: ______________________________________________________________________________________________.
Fee for the Radon inspection is $____________________.
THIS AGREEMENT made this _____________ day of _______________________________________________________, 20__, by and between
Homework Home Inspections LLC (Hereinafter “INSPECTOR”) and the undersigned (hereinafter “CLIENT”), collectively referred to herein as “the parties.” The Parties Understand and Voluntarily Agree as follows:
1. INSPECTOR agrees to perform a radon inspection of the home/building to measure the radon level in the air by the use of an approved continuous radon monitoring device, will require a minimum of 48 hours but may take longer. INSPECTOR shall provide CLIENT with a written radon inspection report.
DISCLOSURE: Radon is a colorless, odorless radioactive gas that may be harmful to humans. The amount of radon in the air is measured in picocuries of radon gas per liter of air, or “pCi/L.” While any radon exposure creates some risk to health, a level of 4 pCi/L or higher is generally considered dangerous by the EPA, which recommends that remedial measures be taken to reduce or eliminate radon from the home/building.
2. Under this Agreement, INSPECTOR shall only report the results of the radon analysis to CLIENT and INSPECTOR shall in no way be responsible to correct or mitigate radon in the home/building. As a courtesy, INSPECTOR may offer comments related to methods for the mitigation of radon in the home/building, but these comments will not create any obligation of INSPECTOR to develop any mitigation plan or perform the implementation of such plan. Whether or not the presence of radon in the home/building is detected, CLIENT shall be responsible to pay for the bargained-for radon inspection report. The report is only supplementary to the seller’s disclosure.
3. Unless otherwise inconsistent with this Agreement or not possible, INSPECTOR agrees to perform the radon inspection in accordance with current industry standards. CLIENT also understands that InterNACHI is not a party to this Agreement and that InterNACHI has no control over INSPECTOR or representations made by INSPECTOR and does not supervise INSPECTOR. Unless otherwise indicated below, CLIENT understands that INSPECTOR will NOT be testing for mold in conjunction with this radon inspection.
4. The radon inspection and report are performed and prepared for the use of CLIENT, who gives INSPECTOR permission to discuss observations with real estate agents, owners, repairpersons, and other interested parties. INSPECTOR accepts no responsibility for use or misinterpretation by third parties. INSPECTOR’S radon inspection of the home/building and the accompanying report are in no way intended to be a guarantee or warranty, express or implied, regarding the future use, operability, habitability or suitability of the home/building or its components. Any and all warranties, express or implied, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, are expressly excluded by this Agreement to the fullest extent allowed by law.
5. INSPECTOR assumes no liability for inaccurate data. CLIENT agrees to abide by certain instructions provided by INSPECTOR for the proper testing, detection and analysis of radon gas levels in the home/building, and INSPECTOR shall not be liable for any negligence or other interference in this regard by CLIENT or his invitees during the testing period. INSPECTOR shall not be responsible for the cost of developing or implementing a radon mitigation plan, and further shall not be liable for detection of deficiencies, whether patent or latent, not otherwise part of an independent home inspection contract with INSPECTOR, merely as a result of INSPECTOR’S presence at the home/building. CLIENT acknowledges that the liability of INSPECTOR, its agents, employees, for claims or damages, costs of defense or suit, attorney’s fees and expenses and payments arising out of or related to the INSPECTOR’S negligence or breach of any obligation under this Agreement, including errors and omissions in the inspection or the report, shall be limited to liquidated damages in an amount equal to the fee paid to the INSPECTOR, and this liability shall be exclusive. CLIENT waives any claim for consequential, exemplary, special or incidental damages or for the loss of the use of the home/building even if the CLIENT has been advised of the possibility of such damages. The parties acknowledge that the liquidated damages are not intended as a penalty but are intended (i) to reflect the fact that actual damages may be difficult and impractical to ascertain; (ii) to allocate risk among the INSPECTOR and CLIENT; and (iii) to enable the INSPECTOR to perform the inspection at the stated fee.
6. INSPECTOR does not perform engineering, architectural, plumbing, or any other job function requiring an occupational license in the jurisdiction where the radon inspection is taking place.
7. In the event of a claim against INSPECTOR, CLIENT agrees to supply INSPECTOR with the following: (1) Written notification of adverse conditions within 14 days of discovery, and (2) Access to the premises. Failure to comply with the above conditions will release INSPECTOR and its agents from any and all obligations or liability of any kind.
8. The parties agree that any litigation arising out of this Agreement shall be filed only in the District Court of Arapahoe County, Colorado. In the event that CLIENT fails to prove any adverse claims against INSPECTOR in a court of law, CLIENT agrees to pay all legal costs, expenses and fees of INSPECTOR in defending said claims. CLIENT further understands that any legal action against InterNACHI itself allegedly arising out of this Agreement or INSPECTOR’s relationship with InterNACHI must be brought only in the District Court of Boulder County, Colorado.
9. If any court declares any provision of this Agreement invalid or unenforceable, the remaining provisions will remain in effect. This Agreement represents the entire agreement between the parties. All prior communications are merged into this Agreement, and there are no terms or conditions other than those set forth herein. No statement or promise of INSPECTOR or its agents shall be binding unless reduced to writing and signed by INSPECTOR. No change or modification shall be enforceable against any party unless such change or modification is in writing and signed by the parties. This Agreement shall be binding upon and enforceable by the parties and their heirs, executors, administrators, successors and assignees. CLIENT shall have no cause of action against INSPECTOR after one year from the date of the inspection.
10. Payment of the fee to INSPECTOR is due upon completion of the radon inspection. The CLIENT agrees to pay all legal and time expenses incurred in collecting due payments, including attorney’s fees, if any. If CLIENT is a corporation, LLC, or similar entity, the person signing this Agreement on behalf of such entity does personally guaranty payment of the fee by the entity.